Functional areas of Personnel Management
· Personnel department has an important role in providing the necessary synergy for achieving Corporate Objectives, especially in the current scenario where organization’s survival depends on providing Quality Service. The department deals with all aspects of human resource requirements of Railway Organization from the time of sourcing to the time of severance and even beyond. This also encompasses maintaining healthy Industrial Relations, involvement in Welfare Activities, Grievance Redressal as well as handling litigations related to service matters.
· To achieve its corporate objectives, an organization must invest wisely in improving the potential of its human resource, and ensure all round satisfaction of its employees. With this end in view, the Personnel department of MCF, Raebareli has endeavored to ensure effective human resource management through expeditious redressal of grievances, timely payment of all dues including settlement dues, and career progression by speedy selections. Due to no recognized union in MCF, RBL, the department has ensured industrial harmony by maintaining an effective interface with the staff representatives.
Organizational planning & development
· Determination of the needs of organization in terms of short, medium and long term objectives. Planning, development and designing of an organizational structure through fixing the duties, responsibility and authority of the employees so that goals may be effectively achieved.
· Development of interpersonal relationship through division of positions, jobs, tasks, inspections
Staffing and Employment
· Manpower Planning - Creation, abolition, transfer of posts, cadre review, redesignation,
· merging of posts, assessment of vacancies, requirement, deployment,
· Selection, suitability, trade test
· Placement of an employee
· Induction and orientation - Introducing employee to the org. giving him all possible
· Information about organization’s objectives, philosophy, policies.
· Seniority, transfer, promotion, reversion
· Separation process (retirement, voluntary retirement, removal, dismissal,
· Resignation, medical ground retirement, death etc.)
Training and development
· Initial training.
· Refresher training.
· Promotional training.
· Special professional training.
Compensation, wages and salary administration
· Job evaluation
· Payroll-Wage, salary, annual increment, pay fixation, allowances, recovery
· Incentive, including non-monetary like certificate cum trophy awards.
Employee services and benefits
· Safety provision in sheds, workshops
· Employee’s counseling
· Medical services
· Staff benefit fund
· Fringe benefits -
· a) Leave, Passes, PTOs
· b) Workers compensation benefit
· c) Pensionary benefit
· d) Bonus, allowances
· Service sheet, personal case, leaves account, seniority list, nominations, and
· Performance appraisal reports.
Labor relation / Industrial relation
· Grievance handling
· Rules and regulations - DAR, Vigilance
· Dealing with labor commissioner (CIRM)
· Dealing with trade unions as collective bargaining - PNM, joint consultation, PREM
· Court cases
· Conditions of work environment
· Working condition
· Allotment of railway quarters
· Sanitation and cleanliness
· Drinking water
· Canteen, Creches, Rest rooms
· First aid facility in all offices
· Medical examination of employees
· Periodical medical examination
· Medical facility to employee & his family members
· Recreational and other welfare facilities, clubs, cooperative stores, sports, schools,
· Balmandir, holiday home, canteens, community hall etc.
· Education, Balmandir
· Factory act, minimum wages act, wages act, workmen compensation act etc.
· Social work - family planning, blood donation
Personnel research and personnel audit
· Utilization of human resource
· Implementation procedures and policies
· Data relating to important aspects to analyze
· Morale and attitude survey
· Change scope of Personnel administration
· Emerging role of personnel management
· Role of the personnel managers of tomorrow